Who doesn’t like bacon?! (I know a few, but those aren’t friends. Bacon-haters can’t be my friends. :P) Haters gonna hate.
…Just kidding. But really, bacon is awesome! Crispy, fatty, and oh sooooooo good.
I’m salivating while typing this.
The skewers that I made are especially tasty right out of the oven, accompanied by a salad and a steaming bowl of rice. Be careful when you’re skewering your bacon pieces, though… Don’t poke yourself! Even though I’m clumsy, I actually managed not to stab myself. Isn’t that great? 😀
BEFORE YOU EVEN START, THOUGH, I HAVE TO TELL YOU– SOAK YOUR SKEWERS FOR AT LEAST HALF AN HOUR IN WATER. Otherwise, they could burn and/or catch fire while in the oven… And we don’t want that, do we? 🙂
So, I prepped the veggies first, cutting them into smaller pieces… And one thing I want to add is that this skewer was supposed to have asparagus instead of green beans in it! Unfortunately, asparagus is not in season, so I couldn’t find them anywhere… Green beans are okay, but asparagus is wayyy better! So if you can hit up the market and find asparagus, go for it! Otherwise, green beans are totally fine.
When prepping the bacon, line them in a glass container with plenty of paper towels to absorb the fat drippings, and microwave for 2-3min, or until the bacon is halfway cooked. This way, when the skewer is baking, the delicate vegetables (like the enoki mushroom) won’t overcook.
And then, skewer man.
I know that the picture above has the shiitake mushrooms on the skewers to be put in the oven, but I found that the shiitake dries up when you put it in the oven. I, instead, like to saute the shiitake mushrooms in a bit of butter, garlic, and some spices, then keep them warm until the skewers are done.
- 4 skewers
- 6 slices bacon, cut in half
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, sauteed in butter for 1-2 min; keep warm
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 c asparagus/ green beans, parboiled
- 1 pkg enoki mushrooms
- Soak the skewers fully in water for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Prep the veggies: chop the asparagus/green beans and enoki mushrooms in bite-sized pieces and set aside. Meanwhile, line the bacon in a glass container and pad each layer with paper towels. Cook in microwave 2-3 min, until halfway cooked. Set aside.
- Roll asparagus/green beans in 4 pieces of bacon.
- Roll enoki mushrooms in the remaining bacon slices (should be 8). Set aside.
- To put on skewer: put a enoki bacon wrap on, making sure to puncture the part where the bacon overlaps itself. Then add a cherry tomato, then a green bean bacon wrap. Thread another cherry tomato and then add the last enoki bacon wrap on. Finish off with another cherry tomato. Set aside on baking tray.
- When all skewers are threaded, pop in the oven and cook for 20min. Flip halfway through.
- Take out of oven once bacon is crispy and cooked. Top each skewer with sauteed shiitake mushroom. Enjoy!
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)
By the way… What is your favorite combination of skewer? Chicken and vegetable? Beef? Or just all meat? Let us know in the comments below!
Also, the skewers didn’t even last the photo shoot. I ate them with my little bro, Guru-chan. 😛