My grandma used to love sweets. I remember seeing her with a danish, candy, or some sweet snack with her at all times while she watched National Geographic or the food channel. She also loved salty foods, too, but candy was never out of her reach.
Today is her birthday, and she would’ve been 80 years old this year… She actually passed away this year, so it’s been a little hard. But I wanted to make this recipe for her, as she loved when I cooked for her and I still wanted to make some kind of cake in remembrance of her.
With that being said, this blueberry crumble cake recipe is delicious and can be accompanied very well with coffee, milk, or even tea!
The blueberries, as you can see, were frozen, but you can use fresh! Either way is totally fine. The frozen blueberries, however, can tint the batter a little, so factor that in!
Remember before you pop the cake in the oven to put the crumbles on top! 🙂
If you don’t have light brown sugar, feel free to use golden or dark brown sugar… The taste will slightly change because of the amount of molasses in the sugar, but it’ll still be delicious~
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- ⅓ c light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1⅓ c flour
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ⅔ c sour cream
- 1¼ c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- 1 c fresh blueberries
- Mix together sugars and spices. then add melted butter and stir in flour.
- Mix until everything is incorporated, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9" cake pan. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, then add lemon, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix until fully incorporated, scraping sides to fold batter in itself.
- In another, separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder.
- Mixing on low, add flour mix into butter mix and fold into each other until everything is combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in blueberries.
- Put batter in cake pan and smooth evenly out.
- Take crumbles and evenly spread on top of cake batter.
- Bake for 40-50min, or until a toothpick comes out clean. (If it's not cooking, look at notes).
- Cool completely and serve. Enjoy!
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)