In Gardena, CA, there’s a restaurant that serves the most magnificent yakitori called Shinsengumi Yakitori. With its delicious arrays of different types of skewers ranging from negima to gyutan, it comes to no surprise that people flock to the restaurant daily to indulge in their sinful delicacies.
But this post isn’t about the meat sticks, albeit super delicious– this about another item that I personally go to the restaurant for… Their Chicken Zosui dish.
The past couple of times that I’ve been to their restaurant, I can’t help myself from ordering two big bowls of it. I’m a little unconventional in my tastes, adding rice vinegar into the soup to give it a slight tangy, sour flavor, but I gulp down that soup in a matter of minutes.
So, the past time I went to the restaurant, I thought to myself, “Although I love this Zosui they make and will constantly come back to it… Why haven’t I made a recipe for it?” And thus, this Chicken Zosui recipe is born!
Now, like I was saying above, my tastes can be a little unorthodox, so my soup does contain rice vinegar in it. If you don’t care for the sour taste, just omit it and it’ll be much more savory. 🙂
The veggies that I decided would work well in this recipe included enoki mushroom, fresh shiitake mushrooms (though if you only have dried on hand, you can totally use those! Just soak in water before adding), green onions, and regular yellow onions.
Another huge thing that makes the Zosui so satisfying is the fact that there are eggs in it! It adds a creaminess and extra protein to the dish, and really helps make the dish a hearty one!
The last addition I put in the soup is definitely my favorite, rice… But I’ve been trying to eat healthier this year (New Years resolutions, yay!) so instead of white rice, I put in brown rice. It doesn’t have the same texture as I’m used to, with a more crunchy mouthfeel, but use whatever rice you would like in this dish!
Zosui is not the prettiest dish to take a picture of, but oh so good! Enjoy! <3
- 2 (32 oz) boxes chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced in half moons
- ½ bunch scallions, sliced thinly
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly (or dried shiitake mushrooms; see note)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 2-3 c cooked rice
- Oil or a pat of butter
- ¼ c rice vinegar
- Seasonings (salt, pepper)
- In a big soup pot, put on medium heat and add in oil or butter. Wait to get hot, then add in onions.
- Saute onions for 1 min, then add mushrooms. Stir and let cook, about 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth; set heat to high until boiling, and bring down to simmer.
- Add in eggs. With a ladle or long chopstick, stir to break up the egg and cook.
- Add in chicken breast, cooked rice, and rice vinegar. Season to taste.
- Ladle soup in bowls, and enjoy!
**Feel free to add anything new to the soup, including aromatics like garlic or ginger
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)