There’s a trend that’s been recently coming about, and these Chinsuko cookies (otherwise known as Okinawan shortbread cookies) work in this particular trend: with only pancake mix, sugar, and oil, chinsuko cookies only take 3 ingredients to make a delicious dessert/snack!
When I was little and whenever I wanted a sweet treat, my grandma… Wouldn’t make these. I wish she did, though! (She would either treat me with slurpees from 7-11, ice cream, or other types of cookies, but never these). I discovered these little treats when I was researching Okinawan recipes in cookbooks and the internet. 🙂
One thing I will mention, though, is my recipe… Is really ad-libbed. Meaning, I really don’t have exact measurements when it comes to the pancake mix to sugar and oil. Whereas I do have numbers to follow with the sugar and oil, I put in the pancake mix pretty liberally, stirring it together and putting enough to be able to roll it into balls with my hands.
You don’t want the dough to be stiff and tough, just enough together that you can roll the dough in your hands without it sticking to you.
Also: if you want to make it like I did above, you add in matcha powder to a separate batch of the cookie mix, then once you roll both the original and matcha in separate balls, squish them together and lightly roll together to stick. You can also use cocoa powder, too!
Enjoy! <3 🙂
- Pancake Mix (I used Bisquik)
- ⅓ c sugar
- ¼ c oil
- (OPTIONAL) 1 T cocoa powder or matcha powder
- Oil (for pan)
- Preheat oven 350 F. Oil jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add in sugar and oil, mixing until incorporated.
- (Add in cocoa powder or matcha powder-- optional). Mix.
- Add pancake mix in, stir, and add as needed. You want the cookies to be doughy enough to form a ball and for you to be able to roll a ball of it in your hand without it sticking.
- Roll a small ball of cookie mix in your hands and put on pan.
- Bake for 15-20min, or until cookie is slightly golden brown. Cool, then serve.
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)