Chocolate mousse is probably one of my favorite dessert items, let me tell you. And boy, if I knew how easy it would be to make it, I would’ve done so long ago! (But I’d probably be fatter… Teehee). Here’s the chocolate mousse recipe! 🙂
I would say if you’re able to melt the chocolate using the double boiler, that’s probably the easiest way to melt it. The Chocolate Mousse Recipe’s chocolate can be microwaved, but I tend to burn the chocolate when I do so… I’m just not very good with microwaves, maybe! But yeah, I used a double boiler.
So, yes, the cream you’re going to beat until it forms soft peaks, but as you can see with the directions for the egg whites, you’re going to make those STIFF peaks. If you don’t know what I mean by soft and stiff peaks… Well! It’s all in the way the peaks shape out when you lift the whisk from the mixture. For the cream, when the whisk is pulled out of it, the whipped cream should hold and maintain shape (not drop back down into goopy-ness) and should have a curved tail from where the whisk came out of. The egg whites should have a stiff peak, like a sharp point, where the whisk exited. It’ll kind of look like a mountain! Just the top will be either curved (for soft) or straight (for stiff). Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the egg white one… Ah!
Once that’s done, just wrap with plastic wrap, pop in the fridge to set for 1 hr, then ladle into bowls and enjoy! <3
- 7 oz bittersweet dark chocolate
- 14 oz heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg whites
- 4-5 T sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate (optional)
- Place chocolate in a pot over a double boiler on simmer. Melt chocolate. Set aside.
- Whip cream until the cream forms soft peaks. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add in sugar and then whip until the egg mixture forms stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in melted chocolate and fold in egg mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add in whipped cream. Stir in until everything is mixed together.
- Put seran wrap and pop in fridge to set for 1hr. After, ladle mousse into bowls, adding optional whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)
*NOTE: If you want to make your own whipped cream and you don’t know how to… Super easy. For this amount of chocolate mousse, you’ll want to get 8 oz heavy whipping cream and 4 T of sugar. Whip the cream and sugar together until it forms whatever peak you like (I like mine more stiff). Then dollop it on and enjoy! <3