I really do like sweet potato, don’t I? I have a bunch of recipes for it!
Well, this mashed purple sweet potato is a great addition as a side dish for those who have a sweet tooth– with the slight taste of cinnamon mingling with the sweet maple syrup, this recipe can also be used to make a sweet potato pie…!
I actually got this sweet potato as a mistake… After being pulled into trying veggie and fruit deliveries to my house, I had gone online and saw I could order 2 lbs of sweet potatoes! So, I did… And I ended up with ONE 2 lb sweet potato. I looked at it in disbelief, marveling at 1. how big the potato was and 2. what the heck was I going to do with such a big potato. I wanted potatoes, not just a potato! So, I ended up making this mash.
By the way, a lesson I’ve learned with these sweet potatoes– take off the skin. My mom doesn’t like them, and I don’t think you’ll like them too well, either. Kinda hard, in my opinion. So remember to peel them! (I learned my lesson, teehee).
- 2 lbs purple sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ c heavy cream or whole milk, room temp
- ¼ c (half stick) butter, melted
- 3 T maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Place prepped potato in pot of water and set to boil.
- Boil potatoes for 15-25min, checking for tenderness with a fork.
- Drain and deposit potatoes back in pot. Add in milk, butter, and mash to incorporate.
- After, add in maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Enjoy immediately! 🙂
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)