Okay, so it’s official: I love Okinawan sweet potatoes. I mean, they’re so great by themselves, with melted butter, mashed, whole… And now I’ve found that the potatoes are great as Okinawan Sweet Potato Ice Cream! The purple color that comes out of this is eye-catching, and the vivid color is sure to please. We do eat with our eyes, too, don’t we? Well, this dessert ranks in my books as one of the more pleasing to the eye~
The only cooking you really need to do (this isn’t your typical custard ice cream– I would make it a custard, but I like when the ice cream is lighter with this recipe!) is boiling the potatoes, removing the skin, and mashing it. That’s it! Then you can let a food processor do the rest of the work for you. (:
By the way, it’s super easy if you use an ice cream machine for this, and I totally suggest trying out the one I use, Nostalgia Electrics 4-Quart Electric Ice Cream Maker!
- 1¼ c Okinawan Sweet Potato (about 3 small potatoes)
- 1 can (14oz/397g) sweet condensed milk
- 2 c milk (I used 2%)
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- FOR ICE CREAM MACHINE: Chill your ice cream bowl!
- Boil potatoes in water for 10-20min, or until you can easily poke into the potato with a fork.
- Grab a bowl with water and ice. Set aside.
- After potatoes are done, transfer to ice bowl and let sit for 3-5min.
- Take out potatoes and peel. Drain water and ice, and use same bowl to mash peeled potatoes in. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add in all ingredients. Blend until everything is incorporated.
- Pour mix into chilled ice cream bowl.
- Make ice cream per your manufacturer's instructions.
(Show some love, and follow/like Mensore Girl on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram!)