For those who don’t have a waffle maker (like me…) and are willing to make your own homemade ice cream cones for your homemade ice cream, this recipe is for you!
Although they don’t get that super crunchy texture like you may get with the waffler maker, they get this slightly sweet, chewy texture that is equally as good. Seriously, I’ve been walking around the house snacking on these cones all by themselves. 😛
The only thing that I found to be troublesome is shaping the cones before they harden, which means you have to handle them when they’re really, really warm. Like, kinda-burn-your-hands warm. So, if you have a mold for ice cream cones, I would suggest that, but for people who are like me (kinda under equipped… :P)
…But I have to say, it feels satisfying seeing the cones come to life and it’s also really tasty. So I don’t mind! Just be careful not to burn your hands with the cones or the pan.
- ½ c egg whites (4 large eggs)
- ¾ c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1⅓ c flour
- ¾ c shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or silicone.
- Mix dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Beat eggs and vanilla extract together. Slowly add in dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Dollop 2 T onto your prepared baking sheet, and swirl to make a thin, circular layer. You should be able to make 2-3 cones on each baking sheet.
- Put sheet in oven for 10-15min, or until the cone becomes golden brown on the edges.
- Take out sheet and roll into a cone shape (be careful not to burn your hands). Press and seal the end of the cone, as well as press the joining sides to form a seal.
- To prevent the cones from unraveling while they cool, put each one in a tall glass and then set aside.
- Repeat steps until batter is gone and cones are made. Enjoy!